Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kevin's Korner - Thor, Chuck, FOX, Terminator and so much more!

Welcome to Kevin’s Korner: your weekly dose of some seriously geeky stuff. This week, we have a religious debate, talk about spoilers, Mortal Kombat, Terminator and a very interesting trailer of the week. Check it out!

Before we get into the news, I wanted to thank everyone who commented on last week’s first installment, and everyone who dropped me an e-mail. I am so excited to be writing for 411mania.com, and I really appreciate the warm welcome. With that said…

Everybody wants some – It’s the news!

Pagans say Thor didn’t look like that – While I don’t want some sort of religious crusade to come down on the Korner, I can’t help but shake my head when I read that Pagans were upset and are protesting at the portrayal of Norse gods in the movie Thor. Apparently, the look and attitude of the gods they worship was offensive to them, and they are boycotting now.

Sure, you could say if Jesus Christ was portrayed as a super hero with a big gun, that happens to look like Jean Claude Van Damn, people would be upset, and that shouldn’t be any different, and you are right. So, I’m just going to tell everyone who could be offended to get over it. It’s a movie, not a documentary, and if you are offended, don’t go see the movie, or read the comic it was based off. Seriously, there are worse travesties in this world to spend your time bitching about.

Mortal Kombat – Have you seen the latest Mortal Kombat: Legacy installment? Instead of a movie, the production company, decided to go with 10 minutes webisodes that feature a new, different look at the familiar characters. It started off with a rough, gritty Sonya Blade and Jax squaring off against Kano. After that two-parter, we saw a bit of Johnny Cage, and finally the next two parter involves Kitana and Mileena with a mix of anime and live action shots. The series has been very gritty and very refreshing. Check out the youtube channel by clicking HERE.

Han Fucking Solo Ice cube trays – Does the headline really need any more explanation? I think not. As of June this year, you will be able to own ice cube trays that portray everyone’s favorite scruffy looking nerf-herder, frozen in carbonite. Isn’t that awesome? I can think of nothing more deliciously geeky, than walking into your house on a hot, summer day, and throwing some frozen Han into your ice tea. Yeah, stay cool Star Wars fans. … see what I did there? Because cool, like awesome and cool, like frozen ice….nevermind.

Tarantino eyeing Gaga – There’s very few people who aren’t eyeing Lady Gaga, but it was rumored this week that director Quentin Tarantino is talking to the pop singer about a role in his recently rumored spaghetti western Django Unchained. Among the many rumors about the film, Will Smith is also being rumored as approached for a role. Could you imagine Gaga in a traditional quick-draw scene, 10 gallon hat and all? I would assume the conversation between the two started off “I love your music, now let me see your feet.”

Terminators are now well funded – Since the rights to the Terminator franchise were up for grabs, there has been a small bidding war going on to see who would get the rights. When the dust settled, Megan Ellison came up with the rights to the franchise. The rumors lately have been interesting, with The Governator showing interest in the franchise, and Justin Lin directing. There was even a rumor that said the entire cast of Terminator 2 would return. Hopefully, they can have some good ideas after the fourth film.

Maquis killed Bin Laden – This story just makes me laugh. Apparently, a German news channel was talking about how an elite group of Navy Seals broke in and killed Bin Laden. The funny part is the logo that was on the screen next to the reporter. It was a fan-made insignia for the Maquis, a group of rebels in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and also Deep Space Nine. Yeah, so, they apparently, beamed down, and shot Bin Laden with a phaser and beamed back up. Stealthy, eh?

Best casting ever - I usually don't bring up too much about casting, because casting doesn't always make a movie, but sometimes, a cast can be enough to bring me to the theater, despite the film. I admit, The Expendables cast was enough to get me to the man-tastic film; another was Ocean's Eleven. Seven Psychopaths looks to be the next film, with the casting of Christopher Walken, Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockewell and Colin Farrell, in a dark comedy from Martin McDonagh, the writer and director of In Bruges. I am sure everyone is with me in saying Walken is a legend and everything he touches is gold, but after seeing Moon, I'm the biggest Rockwell fan you will see. I also thought Farrell was surprisingly good in In Bruges. With all these big players, consider me there.

It’s a bad day to be a FOX fan – FOX has canceled beloved shows Human Target, Breaking In, Chicago Code, Lie to Me and Traffic Light. I actually liked all those shows, which means nearly every show FOX puts on that I like has been horrifically chopped down (yeah, I'm not forgetting about Firefly ... ever). You still have Fringe and Bones, and there are some really interesting shows FOX picked up, like J.J. Abrams Alcatraz and Terra Nova. The latest news is that Breaking In may not be all dead, just mostly dead. So, there’s a ray of hope in the darkness that is FOX.

Chuck gets fifth and final season – The little show that could got a 13 episode season to finish out its life. There was no Subway sandwich effort this time, as NBC picked up the show for one more season, meaning syndication and a great chance to say goodbye. The show has had a small yet loyal fanbase for sometime. I’m extremely happy Chuck is getting one more season, and I’m also happy they’re making it the last. This way, it doesn’t end on some cliffhanger (Chuck’s season finale is called “Chuck vs. the Cliffhanger"), it ends the way the writers want. This way, the season can go out on a big bang, and offer closure to fans who hung in there for five great seasons. The bad news is, they’ve moved it to Friday’s, meaning it seems like the network just wants to be done with it.

USA -1, Vader -0 – In a bizarre story, Hayden Christensen, the guy who, for some, ruined Darth Vader lost another battle this week, this time, against USA Networks. The case was thrown out against Christensen, who claimed his idea for a concierge doctor was stolen, and turned into USA’s comedy Royal Pains. Apparently, saying you have an idea doesn’t mean anything, but if it did, then I had the idea for Star Wars.

NBC says no way to Wonder Woman – After years of development, execs say no to a pilot for the DC heroine. It isn’t hard to believe, with multiple script changes, and a costume change after fanboys cried like their x-box had been taken away. Apparently, the show had recently undergone a re-shoot to add more action, but that was enough. Execs have said it had nothing to do with the terrible costume, and that it was just not a fit for the image of the network.

My Rant:

Spoilers
- Lately, spoilers seem to be everywhere. Every day, show details or behind the scenes photos or copies of scripts leak, causing movie producers and TV writers to pull out their hair. In fact, Doctor Who creator Steven Moffatt said that the fans who leaked last season’s finale of Doctor Who were horrible people who are not fans, and he even said he wished they wouldn't watch anymore. As I reported last week, a few pages of script from the Avengers actually caused the movie to be shut down while the pages were changed. Spoilers seem to run rampant, lately, and yet, it's hard to look away.

I admit, I'm a spoiler junkie. Every time I see spoilers I have to read them. I can't wait to see what happens to my favorite characters on the big screen or the small screen. I feel so happy when I read the juicy detail, until I actually see the event play out, and I realize it would've been so much sweeter to be surprised. Does it stop me? Absolutely not.

You can say my patience is just too low, or I'm immature, but the thing that makes me different from the people that leak scripts is that I don't go out telling the world of my new found knowledge. I try to respect people’s wishes of being surprised. I don't even like to talk about the end of the movie until I hear you've seen it. That's the difference; if I can't control myself, that's fine, but don't ruin it for everyone else.

All that being said, I refuse to look up spoilers for Doctor Who, although I love fan speculation, and I also refuse to read anything on The Avengers. I think the buildup is so big, and my anticipation is getting bigger and bigger with every movie, that the movie will be the event I hoped the Star Wars prequels were. It will be like a giant bat-signal in the sky for movie and comic book geeks, and I don't want that precious moment spoiled. Will I be able to resist? I hope so, but it's tough.

So, what do you think? Are you a spoiler fan, or do you avoid them like the plague? Sound off in the comments!

Box office Breakdown
Thor continues to dominate with a meak dropoff of 45%, well less than any other Avengers installment. The movie is also coasting on solid critics reviews, which helped it top this week’s female Hangover comedy, Bridesmaids.

1. Thor - $34.5 million ($119.3 million total)
2. Bridesmaids - $24.4 million ($24.4 million total)
3. Fast Five - $19.5 million ($168.8 million total)
4. Priest - $14.5 million ($14.5 million total)
5. Rio - $8.0 million ($125.0 million total)
6. Jumping the Broom - $7.3 million ($26.0 million total)
7. Something Borrowed - $7.0 million ($25.6 million total)
8. Water For Elephants - $4.1 million ($48.5 million total)
9. Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family - $2.2 million ($50.2 million total)
10. Soul Surfer - $1.8 million ($39.2 million total)

DVD Releases
Here’s the latest releases to DVD:
The Rite
The Other Woman
The Roommate
Vanishing on 7th Street

I saw The Rite in theaters, and I thought it was ok. Anthony Hopkins is always a pleasure to watch, but the exorcism tale was nothing new. The end was quite eerie, but otherwise, if you’re looking for a scary movie, you should probably look at this week’s The Roomate. The performances, from what I’ve seen in the trailer look downright terrifying!

Trailer of the Week
This movie has Hugh Jackman as a boxer in a world of robot boxing. When he finds a long shot robot, he helps train the robot to win, but in doing so, learns how to win himself. Or atleast, that’s what it looks like. I am totally intrigued by this film. It looks like Transformers with good acting, and a good script, and some heart. What do you think?





No comments: