Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Top 10 of the past decade

The past decade has seen many great movies; the Star Wars saga was completed with episodes two and three, Harry Potter shattered all kinds of records and put what will be a 7 movie series into history, there were remakes, reimagineings, sequels, and more remakes and even James Bond himself saw a makeover. While there are many, many amazing movies that came out over the past decade, I’m going to list ten of my favorite. They may or may not be the best, but, they’re my favorite. So, let me know what your list would be in the comments section!

10) Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
The first true blockbuster for Johnny Depp, and who could imagine anyone else but him as Captain Jack Sparrow? Keira Knightly and Geoffrey Rush also made a great appearance in a beautiful, action packed movie that had great actors, great scenery and a great soundtrack. While the sequels didn’t quite live up to the first, this movie is one of the best ever.

9) Star Trek 2009
While I feel slightly guilty for putting such a new movie on the list, this movie ranks as one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time, so I got over it. While I enjoyed the show, I never thought the Star Trek movies were any good until now. Thanks to J.J. Abrams, Star Trek can be cool again, for a whole new generation.

8) Shrek
Who can forget the Dream Works smash hit that mocked all the fairytale creatures, and the company who made them, all while having great heart, and something kids would like? Shrek was one of the greatest animated movies of all time, and even though it looks like the franchise will be run into the ground, we still have the first movie.

7) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
I can’t tell you how many times I have used lines from this movie as Facebook status updates, and all my friends chime in with other quotes from what is possibly Will Farrell’s greatest movie. I loved this comedy, and all the characters in it, and if it’s on tonight, I will watch it again for the fifty-something-ish time.

6) Spiderman 2
This is the franchise that showed truly how to do a comic book movie. There were others that invented the formula, sure, but Spiderman perfected it. The sequel with great villains, a torn hero, and an amazing fight scene is still one of the greatest comic book movies ever.

5) Memento
Back when Christopher Nolan was just some guy who did American Psycho, he did a movie that blew your mind, and made you do a double take on the entire movie with your jaw open. The movie was shown in reverse, revealing a complicated murder, and a man with a really weird problem. This is my favorite Nolan movie to date, and one of the most genius screenplays in history.

4) V for Vendetta
Sure the Wachowski’s would end up on this list. Unfortunately, the sequel’s to my favorite movie ever, the Matrix, would not make the list, but this movie, that stars Natalie Portman and a constantly covered Hugo Weaving is absolutely brilliant and has some of the best, most heartfelt dialogue ever, all while showing an interesting view on government and terrorism.

3) Serenity
Are you surprised? I admit it, I’m a Sci-Fi junkie, and this is Sci-Fi’s masterpiece. The movie by Joss Whedon, based on my favorite short lived show, Firefly does everything right, innovative, and funny, all while giving the perfect amount of screen time to some truly wonderful characters. If you’re going to do a sci-fi movie, take notes on this one.

2) Shaun of the Dead
Remember when zombies just hung out at the mall? It’s amazing this movie, with the help of two of the best characters in cinema changed all that and begged you to question whether dogs really can look up (they can). This movie made zombies popular all over again, and while they still were scary, they proved in the right hands, they can also be friggin’ hilarious. There have been many attempts to duplicate this movie, and none have gotten close to this, besides maybe, Zombie Land.

1) Ocean’s Eleven
I have seen this movie probably more than any other. Any time it’s on TV, it is what I’m watching. I can easily quote the movie from front to back, and still enjoy the tale of the awesomely cool Danny Ocean, and his eleven comrades and their crazy heist. While the sequels failed to achieve the epic quality of chemistry, this movie has, there are very few others who have. I would put this movie up against Casablanca in that regard, and happily debate the merits for years to come. (Sounds like another column to me)

No comments: